Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2009

um...

saturday hyunjoo and i went to 곤지암 리조트 or gonjiam resort. it's the newest ski resort in south korea. it was her first time snowboarding and we had a great time.


sunday we went to bundang with her sister hyunkyung and her boyfriend sangil to eat thai food. i've had better thai, but it was a much anticipated meal and a nice change.

when we came back to suwon hyunjoo and sangil played some traditional korean music for me. hyunjoo played 가야금 (kayageum) and sangil played 장구 (jangku). sangil is a fairly well known musician not only in korea, but internationally. this was the first time hyunjoo has played kayageum in 3 years, so her performance was not flawless, but i thought it was great. there are 2 types of traditional korean music, one for the palace and royalty and the other for normal people. 산조 (sanjo) is the type for us and that's what they played.


then they wanted me to play jangku, so i did.

5 comments:

Cotter Pen said...

Your great-uncle Curt, Nanna's baby brother, could sing "Cattle Call" just like Eddie Arnold.

Cotter Pen said...

I am such an old fart. I did not realize the pictures were videos until Annette told me. I just loved seeing Hyunjoo play. Although my hearing is pointless, watching her hands was just wonderful, making me remember the feel and movements of when I used to play the steel guitar. It was better than hearing. Thank you.

Joshua Thompson said...

i had to look up eddie arnold and cattle call, i guess i'm too young. i don't think i ever knew i had a great-uncle curt, actually, if he's nana's brother, he would be my great-great-uncle right?
even though you weren't able to hear the kayageum, i'm glad the video took you somewhere that you could relate.

Cotter Pen said...

Were you able to hear a version of Eddie Arnold singing "Cattle Call?" Of course you are too young to know about such things unless the old folks share it with you. My uncle Curt could never be too great.

Cory said...

sounds great.